Please check out our link on Indeed for information and ways to apply as a Police Officer with the Town of Pacolet. If you have any questions, please contact Chief Hawes.
Full Job Description
Pacolet Police Department
The purpose of this position is to provide public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, enforcing criminal and motor vehicle laws, and promoting good community relations.
This position will primarily receive direction from the Chief of Police.
- Patrols an assigned area to detect and deter crime
- Answers calls for service both from the public and other agencies
- Conducts traffic stops
- Enforces state laws and local ordinances
- Assists stranded motorists
- Investigates reported crimes
- Investigates traffic accidents
- Interviews witnesses, suspects and victims
- Obtains search and arrest warrants; assists in conducting search warrants; serves arrest warrants
- Makes arrests and transports prisoners to jail facilities
- Secures crime scenes and collects evidence
- Conducts security checks on residences, schools and local businesses
- Resolves conflicts and disputes within the community
- Assists other departments or agencies as needed
- Completes a variety of reports, including daily and monthly reports, incident and accident reports, citations and summonses, arrest and booking reports, and case files
- Attends court and offers testimony
- Completes required training
- Assists with security and traffic control at special events
- Maintains assigned vehicle and equipment
- Provides courtroom security as assigned
- Performs animal control and code enforcement duties as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
(The essential functions or duties listed above are intended as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
Work is performed in shifts throughout the day and night, during all forms of weather, during natural and man-made disasters, many times without immediate supervision. Police work can be very dangerous, and safety is of the highest priority in this line of work. Most hours are spent in a vehicle patrolling the community.
High school education or GED. Must satisfactorily complete the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy (SCCJA) or currently be class 1 certified and all applicable department training. Possession of a valid South Carolina driver’s license. Must be 21 years old.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Must maintain the required level of proficiency in the use of firearms; maintain physical fitness in accordance with SCCJA and department standards; and meet and maintain all department and state education requirements for this position; ability to establish and maintain working relationships with associates and the general public; good communications skills both verbally and in writing.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. May spend a large portion of the shift sitting in a police vehicle, with some work at a desk or in court. Lifts/moves objects weighing up to 60 pounds. Files and types on a keyboard at a moderate speed.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $38,000.00 – $40,000.00 per year
- Dental Insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 12-hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Night shift
- Overnight shift